Future of the GoMe

62 respuestas [Último envío]
Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
se unió: Jun 19 2008

Very nice list Szark :)
I too support the idea of the Inter-Guild Shard; apart from the fears of "Guild Power", most of the people seem to like the idea.

Quote:
We could advertise that we are willing to help host/moderate press conferences for the guilds and other groups.

btw, the GoMa is probably going to have a "Meet the Maintainers" Meeting sometimes; it is specifically thought for those in the community that still fear the "Evil Secret Plans of the Maintainers". Nynaveve will be taking care of it.
We could offer our help with moderation.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
se unió: Ene 12 2008

There is one thing IMO we do need to stay away from and that is moderation. We can host things for people but to moderate well hummmmmmmmm I don't think we want to go there.
The problem with most of these chat sites is that they need registration. Not a good start if you want to include everyone. These are just my concerns and no way am I telling anyone what to do. :D

Leonardo
Imagen de Leonardo
Desconectado/a
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
se unió: Jun 19 2008

That is why I'm going to propose them to do that in a "neutral" place, where registration is not required. :)
I don't see anything bad in moderating a Meeting as people did in MOUL. I remember there were usually a couple of people with [Moderator] in their name, and the only thing they did was keeping track of the questions queue and call people when their turn arrived.

btw, the All Guilds Meeting will need a moderator/presenter too

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Oct 30 2007

The relayers also had moderators. It was a long hard road up hill for people to realize that they weren't there to control things. If the situation warrents it, I have no problem offering as long as all parties agree to it.

P.S. Since i asked for the guilds meeting, I have no problem taking the presenter/moderator role.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Sorry my words were a bit hastey I can see now what you mean. I stand corrected. Marten did a wonderful job of an extremely difficult task. Relayers skills. :wink:

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

On our future look at this post on moul

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... highlight=

It is well worth digesting Top Gun's post and to what Chogon says lower down.

Al'Kaera
Imagen de Al'Kaera
Desconectado/a
se unió: Jul 6 2008

Thank you Szark ! Very good thinking and good ideas list. I have two questions.....
1. can a new post be inserted 'before' or ahead of the first post in a thread. This list should be on page one, or is it too much trouble/can't be done OR there is a less insane answer?
2. I'm thinking Szark's list and as it grows, should not be on the Census as it is very static there and forces peeps away from the live discussion forums. Yes / No?

Ok, I have three questions...
3. would connecting GoMe reporters to other guild or major community players for good communication work better IF the connections made were in the same time zones?
to clarify... I could post with anyone we want news connection with that is in Eastern/Central/Mountain time zones. The rest of you could figure out your best two or three zones.
Szark's comment about commitment to this effort is good. I will commit, based on my RL requirements that are FIRST (1st). I know when I'm here and I work with whoever is here at the same time and other things as I have THIS time. Otherwise, we just play tag with each other.
Not that the time zone connection is the best answer, there is only one best answer. Speed and flexibility.
AlKaera

again KI 102324  ancient KI 5969479

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

Szark,

Bravo for a well thought out post... you've laid out a roadmap for the Messengers, at least for the near term... it gives us all something to aim for.

You've touched upon a concern we've all had, that people don't always bring news to us, and that we're pretty busy already. All I can say to that is that there will always be situations where people don't think to bring things to our attention. But, as we do a good and consistent job, we'll develop a reputation and the trust of others, and that is what will drive interest in using our services. This won't happen over night.

Lynnutte's comment is key in any dealing with the community:

Lynnutte wrote:
It was a long hard road up hill for people to realize that they weren't there to control things.

This is the same battle that every group in this community has faced. I don't know why it is so prevalent in the Uru community but there's this constant bias of paranoia that someone, somewhere, is out to CONTROL everything. There are some control-type people in the community, every community has them, but it seems like the first challenge every new guild or group experiences is overcoming this prevalent fear that people are organizing to take over the world. And we've experienced less of this than some others'; I don't for a moment envy the maintainers who are ever under the accusation of trying to bend the community to their will, so much so that Tweek made a series of posters parodying the Maintainers as part of George Orwell's 1984.

We can't fix the community. If we could, we'd actually be someone to fear. ;)

Our ability to hold together through uncertain times, our commitment to deliver truthful information of interest to the community - in short, everything we've talked about belonging in our mission statement - that is where we add value, and I believe we'll be recognized for that (indeed, I think we're better respected and better understood now than we were 6 months ago). And if there is no recognition, well, we can either quit, or we can take heart and satisfaction in our work, knowing that it is good even if it isn't as appreciated as we might like.

Oh, and we can recruit. That's the only other thing that'll take a load off ;) But recruiting's only good if you can delegate your responsibilities.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Marten wrote:
You've touched upon a concern we've all had, that people don't always bring news to us, and that we're pretty busy already. All I can say to that is that there will always be situations where people don't think to bring things to our attention. But, as we do a good and consistent job, we'll develop a reputation and the trust of others, and that is what will drive interest in using our services. This won't happen overnight.

True Marten this I realise and you have illustrated the point nicely. Yes it is up to us to raise our profile to be reliable and consistent. See below:

Marten wrote:
Lynnutte's comment is key in any dealing with the community:
Lynnutte wrote:
It was a long hard road uphill for people to realize that they weren't there to control things.

This is the same battle that every group in this community has faced. I don't know why it is so prevalent in the Uru community but there's this constant bias of paranoia that someone, somewhere, is out to CONTROL everything. There are some control-type people in the community, every community has them, but it seems like the first challenge every new guild or group experiences is overcoming this prevalent fear that people are organizing to take over the world. And we've experienced less of this than some others'; I don't for a moment envy the maintainers who are ever under the accusation of trying to bend the community to their will, so much so that Tweek made a series of posters parodying the Maintainers as part of George Orwell's 1984.

We can't fix the community. If we could, we'd actually be someone to fear. ;)

Yes this is something that really annoys me, are these people anarchists. Don't they realise that some control is paramount. I like to call in community management opposed to control. - The right people for the right job and all that.

Marten wrote:
Our ability to hold together through uncertain times, our commitment to deliver truthful information of interest to the community - in short, everything we've talked about belonging in our mission statement - that is where we add value, and I believe we'll be recognized for that (indeed, I think we're better respected and better understood now than we were 6 months ago). And if there is no recognition, well, we can either quit, or we can take heart and satisfaction in our work, knowing that it is good even if it isn't as appreciated as we might like.

Hear hear.

A lot of what we do will never get recognition that we all should understand. But I think most of us that stayed get a buzz seeing the newspaper roll out. We should be proud in what we do, we enjoy it (even more so with more peps) we produce a fine all round product. We try to get all the news out we can.
I have seen our profile increase three ways. (now I am not bigging myself up) The first was the newsletter/paper, second was the press conference, which was nicely handled (I bet you’re sick of this by now Marten but it is true) and the third was me. Manual posting has done a lot of good it shows we are thinking and do care about the community as a whole. I value it as a high profile service. But it has to be consistent.

Marten wrote:
But recruiting is only good if you can delegate your responsibilities.

I had a boss, years ago, that was younger than me (which I didn't have issue with) who had less knowledge than me (I did take issue) and who couldn't delegate anyone to even make a cup of tea. Result: He ended up on the floor with me looking for another job. Moral of the story we are only as good as the management. Under Marten, we learnt a lot (well I did). He inspired me to push myself a bit more. Lynnutte has passion and the skills as a messenger. Well not surprising considering Lynnutte's involvement in the Guild. But this is not to say that we should leave everything to Lynnutte to do. Marten realised that he need to delegate positions,(pushy so and so ;)) Now you know how I got the RSS feed and Weekly update job. :lol:
I want to be managed. I am at my best with a good leader. Theremin as editor has helped me no end so much so I am starting to think differently about my writing.
But I think what is important for me is to not let my ego get in the way. So far I have managed to do that. To take constructive criticism as it is intended, to help. Not because they want to control. Narym did the same. But boy was it hard to start off not being used to it.

Now we don't know each other really. Most of us have never met so we must go on what people say and do to make a judgement of leadership. Personally I was really upset that Marten stood down and when Lynnutte took the reins I freaked out. I thought oh know. No, ONLY JOKING. I was relieved to say the least.
All that just to say we need effective leadership to be an effective Guild. :shock: Do with me as you wish. No I take that back, oh the thoughts that just filled my mind.

AlKaera - YES. Whatever is easy for you. I wouldn't know how to split up the thread, Andros was good at that. I could started a new thread copy and paste it with a link to this thread for disscussion. You could then lock it. Or just put the highlights and bullet points on the Census.

Theremin
Imagen de Theremin
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ago 18 2008

See my editorial! :D :wink:

Al'Kaera
Imagen de Al'Kaera
Desconectado/a
Lynnutte wrote:
I just had an idea, and I don't know how feasible it is, but... Is it possible to create a newspaper to be "delivered" to peoples reltos? Those that sign up for it. Would that be a question for the GoW?

At your request Lynnutte, I'll add that question to the 'When Online: list on the Census

Quote:
Update Messengers Census: I never even saw that page till now. :lol:

Ahh Ok, you've been on it since Andros created it. :) Take another look, the Census has had some updates from this discussion.
AlKaera

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Nice little post by Al over here

http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=45

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
se unió: Mar 1 2008
Szark wrote:
Nice little post by Al over here

http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=45

Indeed, it is a very good one. I always like "clarity".

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

The mission statement and webmaster threads got me thinking. As Messengers are we to adopt a rel.to type of approach with links to all Uru/Myst related Podcasts, vidcasts, music, written material, blogs and tutorials that is spread across the web? We don’t need to worry about walkthroughs as hopefully the GoG will continue to do that.

Theremin
Imagen de Theremin
Desconectado/a
se unió: Ago 18 2008

Do we have a simple, 1-line description of what we do?

Guild of Writers creates Ages.
Guild of Maintainers checks for problems (bugs) in Ages.
Guild of Greeters greets and helps new explorers.
Guild of Musicians creates music.
Guild of Cartographers creates maps (of Ages).
Guild of Archivists store information.

Guild of Messengers:
Delivers messages?
Posts news?
Provides information?
:?:

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

Guild of Messengers keeps everyone informed. (Sound good?)

angelfire
Desconectado/a
se unió: Jul 8 2008

Sounds perfect.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Theremin I think you misunderstand but I agree that is part of it. I was thinking more of podcasts from the TCT, Vidcasts TCT, CCN and community in general. You know the ones on Y-Tube and the likes. I have the ones that stand out in my favs. Martens I have download and so on. But as Messengers are we going to provide this sort of information on our website. Plus fan created stories and music that is not connected with the Guild of Musicans. If we are then a Public Wiki section would be good for this.

It is one thing providing one link to a site and in the case of the TCT podcast one link would do for Podcasts and Archiver as the site is set up for this. But others like CCN one has to dig about abit. Links direct to the content would be helpful.

GoW. Link to the GoW Wiki. One link might do that. But blogs are everywhere. one link won't work for that. So again Wiki would be a good place. Then I have just thought about picture resources like Patchell for example do we list those also. This is why I brought this up as it is a lot of work but doable. Is this what we want to do as I am trying to get a handle on the big picture of what we are to deliver and to what extent as a guild.

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
se unió: Mar 1 2008

You could do something similar to my lists on MO:UL's forums.

ie:
1- All in one post links to the Guilds...
http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=246974#246974

2- Threads of Special Interest from (mainly) MO:UL's General discussions Topic...
http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=269070#269070

Making such lists and trying to keep them updated was very hard.

Al'Kaera
Imagen de Al'Kaera
Desconectado/a
Lynnutte wrote:
Guild of Messengers keeps everyone informed. (Sound good?)

Yeah but 'everyone'? REALLY ? How about ;
Guild of Messengers - Community News Gatherers
Guild of Messengers - Community Communicators
Guild of Messengers - We Write the News
Guild of Messengers - We Deliver the News
Guild of Messengers - Xtra-Xtra Read All About It
Guild of Messengers - News R Us
Guild of Messengers - What's Noteworthy is Newsworthy
Guild of Messengers - Free News Delivered
Guild of Messengers - You've Got News
Guild of Messengers - Puts News in Your InBox just thinking out loud...

AlKaera

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

A few pages ago, I made the following comment:

Marten wrote:
I don't for a moment envy the maintainers who are ever under the accusation of trying to bend the community to their will, so much so that Tweek made a series of posters parodying the Maintainers as part of George Orwell's 1984.

I did not mean to imply that Tweek's posters were themselves an accusation that the Maintainers were trying to force the community around; my meaning is that Tweek's posters made hyperbole of the fears expressed by some in the community.

I apologize to Tweek, and everyone else, for any misunderstanding.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Sorry to here this Marten. I personally took it as tongue and cheek. :)

Szark

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Carried over from What do you propose we do about this? Make a continuing series of Site Tutorials in PDF format. These take a lot of time to do. I am not saying we shouldn't do it but I think it can be done if we work together bringing our individual skills with us. Treat each tutorial like a newspaper. - Compile, proofread and Publish. We don’t have to have them in pdf, we could just make a series of How to? Guild books. I think a few among us wanted to do this type of thing, pass on the knowledge. I have tried to do that with the Wiki. Does anyone want to set up April’s Newspaper page in Wiki following my instructions and template? If I have the time I would love to help with this type of thing but I can’t and will not do it alone. For too long I have done things alone as I found it easier and quicker to do it myself. That will now change if you let me. The Manual posting is a separate issue btw as you will become a liaison of sorts for the site/s you service. A Responsibility I take seriously and now that I have set the bar I would not like to see it fall. However the new website may provide me with some solace in the fact that we can all get involved with Verifying, proofreading, editing and approving articles submitted for the RSS feed. It is no longer the preserve of a few thus the load is spread. I think the new site lends itself to teaching others by the way it does things. I am not a geek or technophobe but I do find most things intuitive and straight forward, once you understand the platform. As in how things work together and so on. I have made a lot of mistakes because I didn’t understand. That increased the work load itself. So can we and will we archive the GoMe tribal knowledge, who’s up for the challenge? Besides a good team effort would be good for us to get our teeth into. We do need to approach this with some sort of logic though. We can’t make a tutorial for every little thing as some things you can find out for yourselves, that is why we have a preview button. ;)

Al'Kaera
Imagen de Al'Kaera
Desconectado/a
Szark wrote:
Carried over from
What do you propose we do about this?

I, for one, like your approach to this. You have many points to cover and I can respond, probably in another manner, AFTER the new website comes up on the 13th.
I'd like to help improve my, and others, skills for the GoMe.

Get back to ya'
AlK

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Szark wrote:
I think a few among us wanted to do this type of thing, pass on the knowledge. I have tried to do that with the Wiki. Does anyone want to set up April’s Newspaper page in Wiki following my instructions and template?

Thanks to Al'kaera and for Al'kaera the instructions and template works. He did find one error which has now been fixed. However April's edition has not been set up as we would like someome else interested in expanding their tasks and become another Wiki backup or just because you want to which will do nicely. :D Please give it a shot. It might plant an idea for keeping a knowledge database.

Al'Kaera
Imagen de Al'Kaera
Desconectado/a

Thread Bump

Just to get it closer to the top of the thread list. I've been spending time, hoping to act somewhat like Marten, making my rounds on a few forums to stay in touch with what is happening.

I especially enjoy reading OpenURU threads, tho' I'm not geeky enough to participate, except where it's easy.

The D'niWeb is a Topic of interest and that is why this thread is BUMPED, along with a recent look at The Future of GoMe in our front page Plans and Projects section.

Should we start any discussions on what we are going to do Before we go online and After we go online, then this kicks it off. 

Spring is only 92 days long here and we should start all this again before summer.

P.S. you may/maynot notice a few posts missing. The Admin guy did it because they were so far Off Topic.

Please stay On Topic.

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

I think we need to talk to programmers, who have experience creating things in URU, to see what they think is possible. Can the KI be updated, and how. Can we "deliver" newspapers to subscribers reltos that, if we update the original, will update everyone else. We need to brain storm ideas about covering meetings, and happenings of interest, and seeing if there will be a need for it to be braodcast to other ages to cut down lag, or for other reasons. Come up with ideas, an then see if they are possible. We need to come up with other ideas of where our services may be needed and wanted.

But most of all, we need more people interested in this! (But that might just be me talking as an over worked and underpaid member. Just like everyone else here. )

Al'Kaera
Imagen de Al'Kaera
Desconectado/a

Good feedback Lynnutte, all valid subjects also. We can reformulate those ideas into specific unique topics/requests and add them to the OpenURU forum sections.

They may get better mileage there than expecting the experts to come over here to our forums.

Lynnutte escribió:

But most of all, we need more people interested in this! (But that might just be me talking as an over worked and underpaid member. Just like everyone else here. )

And that is EXACTLY why it takes longer to do the things we do here AND why some things just lay hidden in the classifieds.

Dr CrisGer
Imagen de Dr CrisGer
Desconectado/a
se unió: Abr 11 2008

Very interesting discuussionm, i am reading it backwards to get the full story.

Al'Kaera
Imagen de Al'Kaera
Desconectado/a

Dr CrisGer escribió:

Very interesting discuussionm, i am reading it backwards to get the full story.

Oh wow... Dr. Cris. The full story? I hope you have a soft chair, coffee AND a pillow.